Sunday, February 20, 2011

Political Rant- You've been warned!

   I am losing my patience with the political discourse, these days. I try to listen to both sides of an argument, but that has been really difficult when the many of the arguments consists of God, guns, and "No Abortions." Even when I have no problems with people having God, guns, and not wanting to have an abortion. I really don't mind what other people want to do, with their religion, their rights, their bodies, as long as they stick to what is theirs. I consider myself very tolerant. And I think that is kind of the problem in politics today.  Just because I am tolerant of whatever stupid trend/fad/belief/procedure you want to partake in, does not mean I am ok with it. I am Ok with it being confined to you. And potentially watching from a distance and laughing.

I am not ok when the morality police start demanding that I cede control of my person, purely because I have a uterus. As a federal governement employee, (no I am not using my work computer to write this, because that would be improper use of government equipment, I am using my 4 year old laptop with a sketchy keboard...), I am prohibited from having a health insurance plan that covers abortions. See here  However, because I am paid by the Feds through an unnamed prestigious university system, I think that I may  have coverage that is more comprehensive. But guess what, if I ever need an emergency D&C, I may get to find out, after a traumatic proceedure, that I get to pay for it, as well.  Purely because of who I work for.

Now I am sure there are many out there who will scream that their tax dollars should never fund  such a procedure. My tax dollars have funded many things I disagree with: putting our troops in harms way in a far away sandbox, subsidizing unhealty foods that promote obesity, dismantling science/arts/music education in order to turn children into little readin'/writin'/'rithmatic regurgitation machines, etc.  I haven't stridently complained, and I really should have. (Better late than never, right?)  So here I go:

Abortion is a medical procedure. It is never joyous, and not convenient. It is not something most women would choose to undertake, if they had other, better options, i.e., Plan B pill, or mifepristone, early term.  I did not choose an abortion, it is not my way, but I can not think of anything more cruel and inhumane than to sentence a woman to carrying a unwanted pregnancy to term, especially in cases of rape and incest. Being pregnant is not all joy and wonder- it is a hardship, and it is only the beginning.  So many people push the happy myth of carrying a child for adoption, but so many of these children are never adopted out, and end up in the safety net of Social services, abused and unwanted. I feel that children should be brought into this world, wanted and loved. If a woman chooses to carry a child to term and place it up for adoption, then that is a wanted child. 

And that brings me to the hippocracy. No thats not a typo- its just a really big hypocracy. I care about life, very deeply, but my moral system speaks to the heirarchy of life,i.e., the living are more important than the dead. A fetus is totally dependent on the mother for everything. If the condition of being pregnant is going to kill the mother, than the mother takes priority.  Simple.  And if someone states that they are deeply pro-life, then where is all the concern for life after birth? It is pretty obvious that the only life that is politically important is the fetus; once it becomes an actual child, well,good luck!  WIC benefits, welfare,  preschool funding, are all deemed not important.  Wars, which I think are fairly detrimental to life in general, are promoted, full stop.  Good health care, for all living humans, should be considered the most Pro-life legistlative action possible!

So I digress. I am very frustrated with the political world we live in. I hope that I am not alone. I hope that we, the tolerant, can impress on the world that we are not so tolerant of our rights being trespassed upon. I am sorry for such a downer of a post, I will now return to snarkiness and science.

No comments:

Post a Comment